Testing of a standard low-cost eBay/Asia XL6009 buck-boost step up/down DC-DC converter regulator. The XL6009 is setup as a single-ended primary-inductor converter (SEPIC ) buck-boost DC converter. This type of DC-DC switching converter uses a boost topology with an inductor coupled with a series capacitor and another inductor for buck-boost operation. A Cuk DC converter is a similar setup with an inverted output. All the power transferred through the inductors and series capacitor.
See XLSEMI XL6009 datasheet for more information. Schematic is similar to page 7 (figure 6) from the datasheet.
NOTE: KNOWLEDGE OF POWER ELECTRONICS IS REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND VIDEO.
DC-DC Boost Buck adjustable step up down Converter XL6009 Module Voltage
Model : D-SUN DSN6000AUD non- isolated, non- synchronous
Input: 3.8-32V DC 3A max.
Output Voltage: 1.25V-35V.
Switching: 4A MOSFET up to 94% eff, 400KHz,
Output Ripple: 50mV
Load Regulation: ± 0.5%
Voltage Regulation: ± 0.5%
Dimensions:48mm x 25mm x 14mm ( L * W * H )
Car regulator, solar photovoltaic, wind power and other applications of voltage instability.
XLSEMI XL6009 400kHz boost converter, TO-220-5.
2x 47uH inductors.
2x SS34 Schottky diodes.
3.3uF cer. cap. Series between inductors (Cdc).
2.2uH output filter inductor.
DC power supply.
DMM: voltage output.
Oscilloscope CH1 (top)= series cap input switching waveform. 2uS/div
Oscilloscope CH2= series cap output switching waveform. 2uS/div
-Switching frequency: 185kHz. LM2577 is 52kHz 3A, XL6019 is 220kHz 5A. XL6009 is 400kHz 4A. IC in boost module may not be original XL6009.
Load testing, power resistors.
1) 12V 0.71A, 12V 20 ohms out. = 85%
2) 12V 1.5A in, 12V 10 ohms out. = 80%
3) 24V 0.73A in, 12V 10 ohms out. = 82%
4) 24V 037A in, 12V 20 ohms out. = 81%
5) 24V 1.52A in, 12V 4.7 ohms out. = 84%.
6) 12V 3.15A in, 12V 4.7 ohms out. = 81%
7) 12V 0.56A in, 5V 4.7 ohms out. = 79%
8) 12V 0.27A in, 5V 10 ohms out. = 77%
9) 24V 1.4A in, 24V 20 ohms out. = 86%
10) 24V 3.02A in, 24V 10 ohms out. = 79% output voltage drops 1V/s.
- Output noise= 1Vp-p
- Output noise ripples= low.
- Output regulation=acceptable.
- CV output adjustment=slight delay.
- No undervoltage lock-out (UVLO). High input current at low input voltages. Best to keep Vin above 10V for high power applications.
- Module got warm quickly at high output currents.
- Switching is stable through input/output ranges.
- Higher output power and efficiency possible by increasing series pass capacitor.
Recommendation: Works as designed. Stable switching. Good up to 2A output. Moderate efficiency, no UVLO and not spec IC limits the module to hobbyist general applications.
Subscribe for technical support. Please read description and product datasheet before